Monday, June 20, 2005

Goodbye Thomas...

When I first arrived in Lincoln, the first place I stayed at before I moved to the dormitory was "the White House". To me the name fit perfectly, not only because the house was white, but also because Thomas, the then-president of NUMSA (Nebraska University Malaysian Students Association), lived there. Since then, Thomas has been one of the most prominent figures in my university and social life in Lincoln, Nebraska. For some reason, I always thought that Thomas will always be here...and I'm definitely not the only one who thought so.

Sadly, yesterday Thomas flew home to Malaysia for good. Although I already knew for a while that he was going to leave, but knowing it and actually realizing it are really two very different things. Of course it's not like we're never going to see him again...but the thought of not having our "big brother" here to protect us and help us when things go wrong is just...weird. Thomas always seems to know exactly what to do in any situation...he knows who to contact, where to go, and how to go about it, and it's always reassuring to get his opinion on things like fixing the car, getting something done on campus, and so on.

But perhaps, on the other hand, we should all feel happy for Thomas that he could finally go home to be with his family and reach for better things at other places. One thing he should feel proud of, though, is that when he left Lincoln, he not only left behind good friends, he also left behind a legacy (if I may say so) that will always be remembered by the Malaysian students community in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Best wishes to you, Thomas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home