Friday, January 06, 2006

rm -r *

These simple, harmless-looking symbols may not seem very threatening to most people...but they caused me a lot of agony this week. Translated into english, it means "recursively remove everything in this directory". Everything here meant all the scripts and information that I accumulated through the semester for a project....all....f**king....gone. The worst part is...I cannot blame anyone because the idiot who did this was myself.

But as usual....there are always two sides to a coin...because of this incident, I realized how lucky I am. About 10 seconds after I realized my horrible mistake, my office mates were abuzz...trying to help me recover the files and comforting me....friends consoled me, gave me support, helped me write script (hehe)...it was really touching, to say the least.

Thank you all, my precious friends. *hugs*

2 Comments:

Blogger Felicia said...

Is it an instruction for UNIX? I thought the system would ask you if you really wanted to perform the instruction.

Anyway, good to know it got better in the end.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya...it's a Unix command. There's something you can set that would ask "are you sure you to want to delete this?"...but unfortunately I didn't do that, hehe. :)

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home