Monday, August 30, 2004

My "Ethnicity" class

I've always been curious about how Americans really feel about interacting with foreign people. I've seen really genuine, helpful ones and some who talk a lot but don't really follow their own preaching. This semester I had to take an ethnicity class - intercultural communication, and I was quite excited to hear the discussions in class. But much to my surprise and disappointment, I find that they focus a lot on Americans and the standard African-American issues. I mean, come on, there's a larger world out there. I think they should change the class name to "intercultural communication IN the US" because that's about all they talk about in class. I would just sit there and have absolutely no input because all the issues do not relate to me! It's very frustrating. I mean, when they talk about minority they mean the minority IN the US, and I have no say in that even though I AM the minority in class because I'm not brought up in the US. I really wish I can do something about this, maybe the instructor doesn't realise that she's alienating the three international students she has in class by always focusing on something we're not familiar with, but at the same time I don't want to offend her and lose my A. So it's a struggle. Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home